2009/12/08

What's the point?

The idea of studying language from sentences is mostly popularized by the author of the alljapaneseallthetime.com, who claims that learning 10000 sentences would get you fluency. Of course I'm nowhere near fluency right now. I've studied the 800 characters for the "basic" level (actually a little more than that). I was using Matthews book Learning Chinese Characters that is like Heisig's “Remembering the ...” books: a mnemonic method to study Chinese characters.
But knowing those characters does not help me very much since I don't know the compound words built of them. And since those compounds are the majority in the modern language, most of the time I cannot read a sentence even if it uses only the familiar characters. Hence the experiment: learn 1000 sentences and see what (if anything) it'll do to my ability to read.
Now for the fun part: cram all these sentences in what's left of December...

No comments:

Post a Comment