2009/12/09

Count 'em

This is weird. When I started using an SRS for hanzi studies I've picked a bit of advice somewhere that explained how to do reps correctly: you get your SRS to show you the English keyword, you draw the character on your palm or in the air (or in your mind if you can) and count the strokes. Then you press a key and see the answer in your SRS that should include the stroke count for the character. That way you immediately know if you've missed a stroke, confused some graphemes that are easy to confuse (like 又, 夊, or 攵) etc. Well, I've found this advice to be very useful and up until now I was sure that it comes from Heisig books. I've had a small suspicion when having downloaded an RTH deck for Anki I didn't find a field for stroke count in it. But now that I'm reading an actual book I can't seem to find it, so probably it was somebody else.
Anyway, this was a great advice, thanks to whoever thought of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment