2009/12/11

Learning to learn

Day 6
This is the end of day six and about 300 sentences studied. It seems to go a little easier lately, which came as a surprise, as I expected it to grow harder. There could be lots of different explanations for that, but I'm thinking that maybe it has something to do with that I'm not only learning the sentences themselves, my brain also adjusts to the whole process and actually "learns to learn", and so starts to spend less effort on it.
How does it feel, to have 300 more sentences under my belt? Well, first of all it feels like the idea to start the sentences was just what the doctor ordered. Also I'm usually very skeptical myself when people start to learn using a new method and after a couple of days they blog "wow, I've learned so much!" (I've heard it a lot about Heisig's method.) Nothing against it, it is a good feeling, keeps up motivation, so those people should not be discouraged even though it sounds a bit ridiculous. But now I have some sort of that "learning a lot" feeling myself. No, I realize that the tiny number of words and grammar constructs I've picked in these six days is small enough not to make any real difference, but I also feel that the direction is right and this might actually bear fruit! The problem is that I'm not sure how many sentences I need to notice a real improvement: a thousand? Two? Five?

No comments:

Post a Comment